Last Saturday’s turnout to Celebrate your Body Fashion Show was an absolute success! The Oakland Asian Culture Center was literary packed with people who were there to celebrate their body and beauty in all forms. It was a unique experience; not like a typical Fashion Show. The crowd was cheering at the models and the designers. There was a lot of enthusiasm, a very friendly and open environment and absolutely no judgment! It felt like a big party surrounded by love and happy faces!
The magic about it was how there was no limitation to the gender, or the race or the body shape of the models who were wearing them.
I love the backstage action! I couldn’t resist myself from not taking a sneak peek on the preparations before the show. I was amazed by all the vibrant colors, the creativity, the quality of the garments and the amazing makeup that was going on backstage. Everybody was enjoying the process and the models were posing for me every time I was pointing my camera at them; I was ecstatic!
I felt that I belonged.
The show had it all: tailored suits, knitwear, shoe design, cosplay, vintage and many more. The magic about it was how there was no limitation to the gender, or the race or the body shape of the models who were wearing them. And they definitely owned their outfits! They danced and walked so comfortably in their outfits with incredible confidence. I felt that I belonged. I could see beauty in everyone’s eyes and huge smiles and I could see confidence and acceptance in the model’s body language. It was not an ordinary Fashion Show, it was a valuable experience, a cohort of real people!
Special kudos to the designers and curators :
- THÚY Custom Clothier (custom-fitted suits) |thuycustomclothier.com
- Nik Kacy (genderequal luxury footwear) |nikkacy.com
- Kalakari (clothing inspired by Indian culture) |kalakaricrew.com
- Jojistarr (upscale fashion) |instagram.com/jojistarr
- A Red Feather (geek chic) |aredfeather.com
- De Watasenia (slow fashion avant garde) |dewatasenia.com
- Consters Inc. (fresh knits) |constersinc.weebly.com
- Fashion Penpals (fashion for all) |fashionpenpals.com
And of course to Kearny Street Workshop for organizing!
Thank you for inviting! I will surely come back next year!